thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and diced
( about 1 1/2 lbs. total)
onion, finely chopped
smoked ham hock
( about 1 lb.)
dry dill weed
grated lemons, rind of
2 1/2 cups
( but good)
- In a 3-qt.
- or larger electric slow cooker, combine potatoes, onion, ham hock, dill weed, lemon peel, white pepper, and broth.
- Cover and cook at low setting until ham hock and potatoes are very tender when pierced (7 1/2 to 8 hours).
- Lift out ham hock and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, remove about 1 cup of the potatoes with a little of the broth; whirl in a blender or food processor until pureed and then return the puree to the crock-pot.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream; blend into potato mixture.
- Increase cooker heat setting to high.
- Remove and discard fat and bone from ham; tear meat into bite-size pieces and stir into soup.
- Cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, for 20 more minutes.
- Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.