cornmeal, my mother used stoneground but any is fine
( not mix)
1 -3 tablespoon
sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
1 1/4 cups
- Preheat oven to 375 In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar.
- (If baking powder or soda appear at all lumpy, sift them in).
- Stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and oil.
- Place the butter in a 9 or 10 inch skillet and place in the oven and heat until the butter melts and is sizzling seriously.
- Tilt the pan to coat the sides of the skillet.
- As the butter's melting, quickly pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and, using a wooden spoon, stir the wet and dry together with as few strokes as possible--- only as many as are needed to combine the two.
- Don't beat it!
- Scrape the batter into the hot, buttery skillet.
- It should sizzle.
- Place it in the oven immediately.
- Bake until golden brown on top, about 25 to 30 minutes.