1 1/2 cups
unsalted butter, melted
6 -6 1/2 cups
unbleached white bread flour
egg, to glaze
- Lightly spray two small or one large loaf pan with non stick cooking spray or coat with melted butter.
- Set them on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a kitchen aid mixing bowl, hand whisk the water, yeast and sugar together and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Stir in buttermilk, butter, honey, salt and half the flour.
- Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Fit machine with a dough hook, then kneading, add in more flour as required to make a soft, but firm dough, about 8- 10 minutes.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise 45- 90 minutes until doubled in size.
- Gently deflate dough and divide into two or keep as one loaf.
- Shape into oblongs and place in prepared loaf pans.
- Insert loaf pans into a large plastic bag and let rise until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
- Glaze well with a beaten egg.
- (You can also brush loaf with melted butter).
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place breads in oven and bake about 45 minutes until well browned.
- Turn breads out onto a cooling rack and cool well before slicing.