ready-made graham cracker pie crust
( or make your own crust for a pie about 25cm across)
1 (400 ml) cans
sweetened condensed milk
hot chocolate powder or
cocoa, for dusting
- Place the UNopened can of condensed milk (don't open the can!) in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring the water to the boil then reduce slightly and let the can boil covered for 2 1/2 or 3 hours (if you're patient enough to wait for 3 hours it is better).
- IMPORTANT- Don't ever let the saucepan boil dry.
- Keep checking up on it and adding water if necessary.
- Remove the can and wait a few minutes before opening it very carefully in the sink.
- The condensed milk will look like creamy brown caramel.
- Stir the caramel in the can with a fork to remove any lumps, then pour into your pie crust and let it cool, then refrigerate till cold.
- Slice bananas thinly and lay them on top of the toffee filling.
- Whip the cream and spread it over the bananas.
- I usually just cover the bananas, but if you like more cream, spread it as thickly as you want.
- Dust the cocoa or powdered drinking chocolate on top for effect, using a sieve.
- Serve in thin slices with coffee.