1 (8 ounce) packages
cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup
cold water, divided
thinly sliced tart apples
( about 6 medium)
1 1/2 teaspoons
additional sugar, optional
vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Refrigerate the egg white.
- Beat the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water into cream cheese mixture.
- Gradually beat in flour until well blended.
- Shape pastry into a ball.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, toss apples with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Turn the pastry onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 4-inch circles.
- Top each circle with apple mixture.
- Brush edges of pastry with water; fold pastry over filling and seal edges well.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and remaining water; brush over pastry.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar, if desired.
- Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Serve with ice cream, if desired.