( about 1 pound)
3 1/2 teaspoons
olive oil, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons
( 1/2 tablespoon)
grated italian Fontina cheese
( about 2 1/2 ounces)
freshly grated parmesan cheese
( about 1 ounce)
crumbled mild soft goat cheese
( about 1 ounce)
1 1/2 teaspoons
minced fresh herbs, such as rosemary,thyme,and marjoram leaves
fresh ground black pepper
fine fresh breadcrumb
- Using a prepared pie crust or your favorite crust recipe. On a lightly floured surface roll out dough into a 12-inch round (about 1/8 inch thick).
- Fit dough into an 11-inch tart pan with a removable fluted rim.
- Freeze shell 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights or raw rice.
- Bake shell in middle of oven until edge is pale golden, about 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove foil and weights or rice and bake shell 10 minutes more, or until bottom is golden.
- Leave oven on.
- Cool shell in pan on a rack.
- Halve squash and scoop out seeds.
- Lightly brush each cut side with about 1 teaspoon oil and on a baking sheet roast squash, cut sides down, in middle of oven 40 minutes, or until soft.
- While squash is roasting, thinly slice onion and in a heavy skillet cook in 1/2 tablespoon butter and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Cool squash and scoop out flesh.
- In a food processor purée squash.
- Add whole egg, egg yolk, and cream and blend well.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in cheeses, herbs, onion, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour filling into shell, smoothing top.
- In a small skillet melt remaining tablespoon butter and stir in bread crumbs until combined well.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over filling.
- Bake tart in middle of oven 40 minutes, or until filling is set.
- Cool tart in pan on rack 10 minutes and carefully remove rim.