bing cherries, pitted
fresh lemon juice
- Combine the cherries and sugar in a large, heavy, shallow, non-reactive saucepan.
- Set aside to plump, several hours or as long as overnight.
- Add the water to the cherries and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes; then add the lemon juice and boil rather fast until the juice has thickened like jelly and a candy thermometer reads 221*F.
- Remove pan from heat and allow the preserves to sit overnight, covered; refrigerate them, if you'd rather.
- The next day, reheat the preserves to the boiling point and spoon them into hot, sterilized canning jars and seal.
- Store in the refrigerator, or (better) in the freezer.