white pea beans
thick slab bacon
1 (28 ounce) cans
packed brown sugar
- Rinse beans and sort, discarding any blemished ones and any grit.
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, cover the beans with 3 times their volume of water.
- Bring to a boil; boil gently for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain, discarding liquid.
- Return soaked beans to the pot along with 3 times their volume of fresh water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, reserving 2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, dice the bacon and set aside.
- In a bean pot or 16-cup casserole, combine the beans, reserved cooking liquid, bacon, tomatoes, onions, ketchup, molasses, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Bake, covered, in a 300 degree F.
- oven for 2-1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until the sauce is thickened and coats the beans well.