1 (6 ounce) cans
medium black olives, pitted
1 (7 ounce) jars
garlic, pressed or minced
1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 1
anchovy, cut up
1 1/2 tablespoons
freshly grated parmesan cheese
fresh ground pepper
- Empty the black olives into a strainer to drain completely, then put into food processor.
- Repeat above step with pimiento stuffed green olives, then the capers (be sure to rinse the capers while they are in the strainer, or they will add too much salt).
- Put the lemon juice into a small bowl and press the garlic cloves into the juice.
- Add to the processor bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the processor bowl: anchovy paste (or chopped anchovy), parmesan, oregano, basil,& fresh ground pepper.
- Cover& pulse until coarsely chopped.
- While processing at low speed, add the tablespoon of olive oil, use more if you wish, but I have found the one tablespoon sufficient, and it cuts down on the fat of the spread.
- A delicious addition to this recipe is 6-8 sun dried tomatoes packed in oil.
- Pat excess oil off with a paper towel& add with the olives.
- Serve with toast, crackers, foccacia, or even use to cook with.
- It is wonderful with Havarti cheese, too!