2 1/2 cups
2 1/2 cups
powdered sugar, divided
orange juice, divided
5 1/2 teaspoons
finely grated orange zest, divided
red food coloring
yellow food coloring
prepared vanilla frosting
( or your favorite frosting--a cream cheese one is yummy too)
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Cream together the butter and 1 cup of the powdered sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute, or until creamy.
- Add the egg, 2 Tbsp.
- orange juice, 3 1/2 tsp.
- orange zest, vanilla, lemon juice, and orange extract; beat until well blended.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture; mix well.
- Shape the dough into 2 logs about 2" in diameter on a lightly floured surface.
- Wrap each log tightly in waxed paper; chill at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Line at least 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 1/4" thick slices; place 1" apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool cookies on the sheets for 2 minutes; then transfer them to wire racks and cool completely.
- Combine the remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp.
- orange juice, and 1 tsp.
- orange zest in a medium bowl; beat until blended.
- Add additional orange juice, if necessary, for desired consistency.
- (At this point, add a few drops of red and yellow food coloring; mix until you reach a desired orange color.) Glaze tops of cookies; let stand 1 hour, or until glaze is set.
- Frost half of the cookie bottoms with vanilla frosting; place a second cookie bottom side down over the frosting to make a sandwich.
- Store loosely covered in a single layer for up to 1 week.