1 1/4 cups
packed brown sugar
- Spread 1/4 cup of the butter over the base of a 10-inch springform pan or a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Peel and slice pears, removing cores.
- Arrange in the bottom of the cake pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream remaining butter with brown sugar.
- Beat in egg until light and fluffy.
- Stir in molasses.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon and salt (if using).
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the dissolved baking soda, stirring just until blended.
- Pour the mixture over the pears.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert a serving plate on top of the pan; turn the gingerbread out upside down onto the plate.
- Serve warm, cut into wedges or squares.