stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups
salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven and add stewing beef.
- Saute until nicely browned.
- Remove meat from pan with slotted spoon and put to one side.
- Add onions and cook until slightly softened and caramelized.
- Return meat to pan.
- Sprinkle meat and onions with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Mix flour with water to make a smooth paste and add to simmering goulash.
- Bring back to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add sour cream and heat through.
- Serve over potato dumplings or egg noodles.