1 3/4 cups
3 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
( to garnish)
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 tablespoons
grated fresh lemon rind
( 3 1/2 cups)
- TO MAKE CAKE: Cream butter.
- Gradually add sugar beating w/mixer on medium speed.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour& baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning& ending w/flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour 1/3 of batter into well buttered& floured 9" round cake pan.
- Stir cinnamon& next 3 ingredients into the remaining batter.
- Pour into 2 well-buttered& floured 9" round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until knife blade inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove& cool completely on racks.
- Spread frosting between layers, on top& sides.
- Stack white layer between the 2 spiced layers.
- Garnish with pecan halves.
- FROSTING: Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup water; set aside.
- Bring remaining 1 cup water to boiling in medium saucepan.
- Stir in the sugar, rind& juice.
- Return to a boil.
- Cook to soft ball stage (236 degrees F), stirring often.
- Gradually add to cornstarch mixture& continue.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick& bubbly.
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut.
- Stir frosting before spreading on cake.