small white beans, rinsed and drained
white wine vinegar
chopped fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons
chopped fresh mint leaves
( including tops)
salt and pepper
cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a 4-5 quart pan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil over high heat.
- Add beans and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans, discarding water.
- In the same pan, combine 6 cups of water and the salt; bring to a boil over high heat, add beans and cook, partially covered, until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, and Tabasco; beating with a whisk, slowly add oil; set dressing aside.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, basil, chopped mint, parsley, green onions, and garlic.
- Mix in dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or for up to a day.
- To serve, lightly mix tomatoes into salad; garnish with the mint sprigs.