1 (16 ounce) cans
2 -3 cloves
( pressed or crushed)
roasted red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons
fresh ground pepper
- Drain& rinse chick peas/garbanzos, reserving liquid.
- In small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, cayenne (use less if you don't want it very spicy, but we like it with 1/2 tsp),& salt, mixing throughly.
- Put garbanzo beans/chick peas in bowl of food processor with chopping blade,& sprinkle the spice mixture over the top evenly.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic,& roasted red peppers, and blend until well mixed.
- Add the fresh ground pepper.
- Once the hummus gets smooth, add some of the reserved liquid from the chick peas/garbanzos while it is being processed, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve with toasted pita bread or as a dip or spread with almost anything.
- Have fun with this basic recipe- you can change the amounts or even the actual spices used to change the flavor of this healthy dip.
- Please share your discoveries!