frozen puff pastry
( 2 sheets per pkg.)
vanilla (optional) or
- Thaw out puff pastry, but make sure it stays chilled. You want it pliable (chill it again if it gets warm and sticky). Puff pastry should already be 1/8 inch thick – if not, roll it out to that thickness.
- If your pastry cracks you can seal it together with a little water and your finger.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, or a section from a brown paper bag to fit.
- Spread SUGAR on the counter like you would flour to roll out dough.
- Lay out one sheet of pastry (keep 2nd sheet in fridge for now). Sprinkle the top with sugar as if you were rolling the dough out.
- Take the two sides of dough and fold them in towards each other halfway to the center and press down lightly.
- Then take the folded edges and fold them in to meet in the center. Then fold them together like closing a book, it should look like a U shape.
- Cut into 3/8 inch slices with a sharp knife and place on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with a light coating of sugar and place in the oven for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Work on the second sheet at this time.
- Pull out and turn cookies over and sprinkle that side. Bake 3-5 minutes more or until center is done and edges are golden.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool, then store in an airtight container.
- Optional items: Use cinnamon sugar in place of sugar.
- The glaze can be drizzled over the top to finish it off.