rinsed lightly packed fresh basil leaf
freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a 1 1/2 to 2 Qt glass bowl, combine basil leaves and sugar.
- With a wooden spoon, crush leaves with sugar until thoroughly bruised;
- add water and lemon juice,
- Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes;
- Taste and add more sugar if desired.
- Pour through a strainer into ice-filled glasses.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh basil.
- *Note:The type of basil you use will contribute to the'personality' of this drink.
- Dark purple basil tints the lemonade pink and has a milder flavor than green varieties.
- Lemon basil adds a lemon-drop essence.
- Cinnamon and Thai basils make this more spicy.