texas star red grapefruits
red bell pepper, seeded and minced
( about 1/2 cup)
red onion, minced
( about 1/4 cup)
fresh cilantro, minced and packed
florentine Baby Spinach, washed and dried when ready to cook
Avocado, ripe but firm,diced just before cooking
- Drain the tofu packages and remove the tofu.
- Slice the blocks horizontally so they are half their original height.
- Cut the rectangles diagonally into 2 triangles each.
- Set them on paper towels to drain while you prepare the marinade.
- Halve one grapefruit and one orange and squeeze 1/2 cup of juice from each.
- Stir in 1 Tbs of olive oil.
- Dob the tops of the tofu with more paper towels.
- Arrange the tofu in a single layer in a large dish.
- Season with the cayenne pepper and 1/8 tsp salt.
- Mix the marinade well and pour it over the tofu.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate over night or for at least several hours, turning once.
- Make the salsa now if you have time.
- Peel the remaining grapefruit and oranges.
- Use a paring knife to remove the outer membrane.
- Work over a bowl to catch the juices, and cut between the membranes to release the segments.
- Repeat with the oranges.
- Halve each fruit segment.
- Add the diced bell pepper, red onion, and cilantro.
- Season with remaining 1/8 tsp of salt.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- When you're ready to cook the tofu, heat a grill pan over high heat and add 1 tsp olive oil (or use a non-stick frying pan).
- Add the tofu and marinade and cook about 3 minutes on each side, turning gently with tongs or a spatula.
- Remove the tofu and add the spinach to the pan.
- Stir it around briefly so it just wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
- Arrange spinach in the center of 4 plates.
- Lay 2 triangles of tofu on top.
- Spoon grapefruit salsa around the tofu and garnish with fresh avocado chunks.