FOR THE LOAF
very ripe bananas
1/4 cup soft butter or 1/4 cup
1 1/2 cups
eggs, well beaten
lemon rind, of grated
FOR THE LEMON SAUCE
fresh lemon, juice of
1/4 cup sugar or 1/4 cup
other artificial sweetener
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Ovens will lose heat immediately the door is opened.
- A hint for retaining temperature without heat loss when oven door is first opened is to pre-set the oven to about 50° higher than required.
- As soon as pan (s) are put into the oven, close the door and immediately reset to required temperature.
- For BANANA/LEMON SENSATION, set the oven to 400°F and drop down to 350°, at the ready.
- "Prepare" loaf pan in the usual way using a light cooking/baking spray and light dusting of flour.
- Set aside for later use.
- In a small bowl, grate the lemon and set aside (If you have an aversion to lemon, skip this step).
- In a small saucepan, squeeze the fresh lemon half.
- FOR THE LOAF: In a medium-sized bowl, mash bananas well, with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter or margarine with 1 cup sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs really well.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas, butter mixture, well-beaten eggs.
- Beat again.
- NOTE: If you are using a blender or food processor, please be aware of over-spills.
- Sift together (if you prefer sifting) flour, baking soda and salt.
- (HINT: Because of the lemon sauce, I do not add salt. If you do not use lemon juice, or lemon rind, salt may be added, in the quantity stipulated above) Add banana mixture to flour a quarter at a time, and mix well after each addition, by hand, with a large mixing-spoon.
- Scrape batter down sides of the bowl into the flour and mix well.
- At this point, add the grated lemon peel and mix well.
- You can never mix too much.
- Ingredients must be well-combined prior to baking.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. (my oven requires the full hour).
- Remove from oven and with your cake tester, test for doneness.
- Cake tester should come out clean, with no evidence of batter.
- Using your cake tester, puncture the loaf, all over the top, but not right through.
- While loaf is still hot, carefully spoon the lemon sauce over the surface.
- This will seep into the loaf through the punctures and add flavour to the Banana Loaf.
- Set on cooling rack until the pan can be handled easily, about 1/2 hour.
- Turn the pan over and tap hard on the bottom to loosen the loaf.
- Continue cooling baked loaf, until ready to seal and put away, or serve same day.
- THE LEMON SAUCE: In a small sauce-pan, over medium heat, combine lemon juice and sugar (or other sweetener) Mix continuously and bring to a boil.
- If you have an aversion to lemon, skip this step.