9 inch deep dish pie shell
( I use Knox)
1 cup granulated sugar or 1 cup
Splenda sugar substitute, for baking
fresh lemon juice
1 -2 teaspoon
lemon, zest of
1 2/3 cups
- Bake pie shell according to package directions for a refrigerated pie.
- In saucepan, stir together gelatine, 1 cup sugar and salt.
- Beat together eggs yolks, lemon juice and water.
- Stir into gelatine mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon zest and chill, stirring occasionally, until partially set.
- NOTE: You can make this in two 8-inch regular pie shells.
- In mixing bowl, add egg whites and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar has dissolved.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the gelatine mixture until it becomes an even consistency.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Refrigerate and chill until firm (2 or more hours).
- Cut into small slices.
- If desired, dollop with whipped cream before serving.