smoked ham hock
dried pinto bean
uncooked long grain white rice
onion, peeled and diced
garlic, smash and chop
red bell pepper, seeded and diced
jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
chopped fresh oregano
1 (15 ounce) cans
peeled plum tomatoes, drain reserve juice
chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the water and ham hock in a pressure cooker, check to make sure the steam release holes are clear and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pinto beans and cook 20 minutes more.
- Add the rice, and when the pressure cooker"hisses," cook for another 5 minutes.
- While the rice and beans cook, heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the onion and garlic until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the red pepper, jalapeno peppers, oregano and tomatoes, stirring and chopping as you go.
- Add 1/4 cup of the reserved tomato juice, half of the salt and half of the pepper.
- Lower the heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- After the rice and beans have cooked, remove the ham hock, slice off 2 ounces of lean meat and reserve.
- Add the cooked rice and beans to the pepper-tomato mixture in the skillet.
- Stir in the reserved ham hock meat, 2 Tbs of the cilantro, the capers and the remaining salt and pepper.
- To serve: Spoon into bowls and garnish with the remaining cilantro.