Bee Sting Cake Batter
1 1/2 cups
plain flour, sifted
1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon
full plain flour
2 1/2 tablespoons
( lightly beaten)
( stiffly beaten)
- Batter: Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Grease and flour a 23cm springform pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and beat into batter.
- Add dry ingredients one-third at a time, alternating with the 6 tablespoons of milk.
- Stir ONLY enough to blend.
- Pour into springform pan.
- Glaze: Heat together almonds, sugar, butter and milk (or cream) until the sugar is disolved.
- Pat a spoonful of flour over the top of the cake batter, using the back of a spoon to pat the flour onto the batter.
- Pour almond glaze mixture evenly over the batter.
- Use the back of the spoon to help you pour the almond glaze mixture evenly over the batter.
- Bake the batter for 25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool while preparing filling.
- Filling: Combine sugar, cornflour and egg yolks into the top of a double boiler.
- Separately heat milk to scalding.
- Slowly pour the milk over the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly and quickly with a whisk.
- Place over hot water.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Stir in almond extract, then remove from the heat and slightly cool.
- In the mean time, beat egg whites, adding the salt, and continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the custard.
- Cover with waxed paper and chill in the fridge.
- Assembly of the Bee Sting Cake: When the cake has cooled, slice in half horizontally to make two layers.
- Place bottom layer cut side up on plate.
- Spread this layer with the filling.
- Top with the second layer, almond glaze side up.
- Refrigerate until time to serve.