boneless skinless chicken breasts
dried red chilies
( such as Guajillo or New Mexican Red)
1 1/2 cups
shredded monterey jack cheese
fresh cilantro stem
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and brown chicken breasts on both sides.
- Remove from pan and place in oven proof baking dish.
- Open dried chiles, remove and discard seeds and stem.
- (Seeds are removed to prevent burning) Cut chiles into pieces.
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Lightly sauté chiles in butter.
- Add chopped onions and garlic.
- Tear tortillas into pieces and add to pan.
- (The tortillas help to thicken sauce.) Sauté until ingredients are lightly browned.
- Add chicken stock and salt and simmer until ingredients are soft.
- Remove from heat and cool sauce to room temperature.
- Transfer cooled sauce to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts.
- Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove from oven, top with shredded jack cheese and garnish with sprigs of cilantro.
- Bake a few additional minutes to melt cheese if necessary.