2 3/4 cups
butter, at room temperature
packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups
extra-large eggs, separated,whites at room temperature
finely chopped pecans
( or walnuts)
1 3/4 cups
finely shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- Sift 2 ¾ cup flour, baking powder and all the spices into a bowl.
- Combine milk and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Beat butter on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar in 2 additions, beating 2 minutes between each addition.
- Add brown sugar; beat a further 2 minutes.
- Add 3 of the yolks; beat another 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 yolks and 3 of the whites; beat 4 minutes.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 additions and milk mixture in 2, beginning and ending with flour.
- Stir in carrots and pecans.
- Beat remaining 2 whites until foamy, add pinch of salt; continue beating until firm, not stiff, peaks form.
- Fold carefully and thoroughly into cake batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in lower third of oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with icing sugar.