green bell pepper, chopped
dried thyme, crumbled
potato, peeled and cut into cubes the size of corn kernels
corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- Cook onion, celery and bell pepper in butter and oil over moderately-low heat, stirring, until vegetables are softened.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add stock, thyme, bay leaf, salt, carrots and potato and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are just tender (if using frozen corn, add at this point too).
- Add fresh corn and simmer 5 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer 2 cups of the solids with a slotted spoon to a blender, add half and half and puree.
- Add puree back to the hot soup and heat.
- Season to taste.