baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
( such as Russet, about 5 -6 inches long each)
236.59 ml low-fat sour cream or 236.59 ml
1 (226.79 g) package neufchatel cheese or 1 (226.79 g) package
cream cheese, softened to room temperature and cut into chunks
sweet unsalted butter, divided
minced onion flakes
( or use fresh)
salt, to taste
sweet Hungarian paprika, to garnish
- Set potatoes into a large stock pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- As soon as it starts to boil, lower the heat, cover, and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until your potatoes are very tender (time will vary based on actual size of your potatoes).
- Drain and set back into the pan (no heat) and mash.
- Add sour cream, neufchatel cheese, 4 Tbsp of the butter, onion, and salt to taste and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Spread evenly into a greased 9x13" glass baking dish, and using the back of a wooden spoon, press shallow craters into the surface evenly across the potatoes.
- Melt remaining butter and drizzle over the surface- some should pool up in the craters.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika to garnish.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- To MAKE AHEAD: Prepare potatoes up until the part where you cover with foil- set the foil coverd pan in the fridge overnight; when ready to bake, set the pan on the counter for 30 minutes before placing into the preheated oven and bake as above.