boneless short ribs
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
celery ribs, chopped
black peppercorns, whole
1 (750 ml) bottles
- Preheat oven to 500^F.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Generously season ribs and arrange in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast until brown, about 25 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 325^F.
- Place ribs in a large heavy oven-proof pot.
- Add tomatoes with juice, and next 8 ingredients.
- Add wine and enough water to cover.
- Tightly cover pot and cook in oven until meat is very tender, about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove any fat from surface and transfer ribs to a 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Strain liquid and return ot pot.
- Boil until liquid has reduced to 1 cup, skimming any foam that appears, about 50 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 325^F.
- Pour sauce over ribs.
- Cover pan with foil and bake until ribs are heated through, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer ribs to a serving platter and spoon sauce over.