- Scald the milk with the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Cover and let infuse off heat for 10-15 minutes.
- In a heavy based saucepan, melt butter, whisk in flour and cook, stirring, until the flour is foaming but not browned- about 1 minute.
- Off heat, strain in the hot milk.
- Whisk well, then bring to a boil, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
- season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and leave to simmer slowly for 1-2 minutes.
- NOTE: This make what is called a "MEDIUM" Bechamel.
- For a "THIN" Bechamel use 2 tbs. butter and 2 tbs. flour.
- For a "THICK" Bechamel use 4 tbs. butter and 4 tbs. flour.