starchy baking potatoes, scrubbed clean
1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon
1 1/2 cups
onions, finely chopped
fresh garlic, minced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
3 cups 1% low-fat milk or 3 cups
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
shredded colby cheese, garnish
crumbled bacon, garnish
chopped scallion, garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Poke potatoes with a fork several times and bake 1 hour or until tender when pierced.
- Let cool slightly, and when you can touch them without burning your fingers, peel potatoes.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cover and let sweat 10 minutes, or until soft- but not brown.
- Add 2/3 of the potatoes and mash using a potato masher right in the pot.
- Add chicken broth, milk, and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Raise the heat slightly to bring mixture to a low simmer (bubbles forming under the surface, but not a boil), stirring occasionally.
- Chop remaining potatoes into small cubes, add to soup, and stir gently; keep heating until soup warmed through.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with any or all of the optional toppings.