fresh lemon juice
chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 3/4 cups
sifted cake flour
( sifted, then measured)
fresh lemon juice
Filling and frosting
chilled heavy whipping cream
3 (8 ounce) containers
chilled mascarpone cheese
- You'll need a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip to create the decorative rosettes.
- Begin making this cake two days before you plan to serve it.
- For lemon curd: Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium metal bowl.
- Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water). Whisk constantly until thickened and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 160°F, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bowl from over water. Add butter; whisk until melted.
- Transfer 2 cups curd to small bowl for spreading on cake layers. Reserve remaining curd for filling.
- Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of both curds. Chill overnight. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep chilled).
- For cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F.
- Line bottom of two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides with parchment paper (do not grease pans or parchment).
- Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 7 tablespoons sugar in large bowl until mixture is very thick and slowly dissolving ribbons form when beaters are lifted, about 4 minutes.
- Using clean dry beaters, beat whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining 7 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff and glossy.
- Fold half of whites into yolk mixture, then sift half of flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt over and gently fold in until incorporated.
- Fold in remaining whites, then sift remaining flour over and fold in just until combined, being careful not to deflate batter.
- Divide batter between pans; smooth tops.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Cool in pans on racks.
- Run knife around edge of pans to loosen cakes.
- Invert cakes onto 9-inch-diameter cardboard rounds, tapping on work surface if necessary to release cakes.
- Cut each cake horizontally in half (layers will be thin). Peel off parchment.
- For syrup: Place sugar in small metal bowl. Add 1/2 cup boiling water; stir to dissolve sugar. Stir in lemon juice.
- For filling and frosting: Beat whipping cream and sugar in large bowl until peaks form.
- Add mascarpone to lemon curd in medium bowl; whisk until blended.
- Fold whipped cream into lemon-mascarpone mixture.
- Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter.
- Brush with 1/2 of syrup.
- Spread 1/2 cup lemon curd over, then 1 cup lemon-mascarpone filling.
- Top with second cake layer; brush with 1/2 of syrup and spread with 1/2 cup lemon curd and 1 cup lemon-mascarpone filling.
- Repeat with third cake layer, syrup, lemon curd, and filling.
- Top with fourth cake layer.
- Brush with remaining syrup, then spread remaining lemon curd over.
- Spoon 2 cups lemon-mascarpone filling into pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip (to be used for rosettes).
- Spread remaining lemon-mascarpone filling as a frosting over sides of cake.
- Pipe small rosettes of frosting over top of cake, covering completely.
- Cover cake with cake dome; refrigerate at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.