3/4 cup chicken stock or 3/4 cup beef stock or 3/4 cup
low sodium chicken broth
Chinese five spice powder
lean thick slab bacon, cut inot 1 1/2 inch pieces
garlic, sliced 1/8 inch thick
boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
salt and pepper
white mushroom, caps only,quartered
dry white wine
scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a small saucepan, mix the stock and 5-spice powder and simmer over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil.
- Add the bacon and cook over low heat until most of the fat is rendered and the bacon is browned (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add the garlic.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- cook over medium heat until the chicken is brown and just cooked through (about 8-10 minutes).
- Remove from skillet.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil in skillet.
- Add mushrooms and saute over medium heat until all of their liquid has evaporated and they start to brown (about 8 minutes).
- Remove mushrooms to plate.
- Add wine to skillet and simmer over medium-high heat until it is reduced by half.
- Add the soy sauce, spiced stock, bacon, garlic, chicken and mushrooms.
- Cook, stirring, until heated through.
- Add scallions.
- Serve (over rice).