zucchini, washed and scrubbed and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices
potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices
garlic cloves, sliced thin
onion, peeled, cut in half, each half cut into thirds, large wedges
( Spanish or Bermuda)
Tomatoes, peeled and quartered
hard cheese, cut into large chunks
( I use 'kefalograviera or 'myzithra' which you may not have, something like Parmesan would be excelle)
fresh spearmint, minced
( or 1 tsp dry)
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees F.
- Put everything in a very large baking pan. Pour water, olive oil on top and add herbs. Season generously.
- Put your clean hands in the pan and give all the veggies a toss so herbs, and oil and salt and pepper go on everything.
- It looks like a lot but don't worry - it'll 'melt' down considerably during cooking.
- Roast for a couple of hours, stirring everthing up a couple of times to allow veggies on bottom to come up and brown nicely too. What you're after in terms of texture is for the vegetables to 'melt' into each other, but without losing their individual shape. NOTHING crisp-tender going on here - just meltingly, comfortingly, deliciously tender.
- This is delicious with good crusty bread (lovely juices) and feta cheese on the side- like we eat it.
- Will probably serve 6 hungry people, or maybe not. We go through it fast. It's even better the next day.