3 -4 medium
potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons
( for frying)
- Cook potatoes in boiling water till tender; drain, reserving water.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Mash with hand masher till well-mashed.
- (I find the electric mixer makes it too gooey).
- Add milk, salt and pepper and beat till fluffy.
- In the same saucepan as potatoes were cooked in, cook cabbage in reserved potato water for 6 to 8 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in frying pan and saute onion until tender.
- Add mashed potato and cooked cabbage to the onion.
- Heat throughly, stirring constantly.
- Place in a heated serving dish.
- Serve hot, topped with butter.