slightly underripe bartlett pears, peeled and cored
1 1/2 cups
fresh lemon juice
- Cut 1/2 of pears into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Finely chop remainder in processor.
- Combine all pears with wine in heavy large saucepan and set aside.
- Using veg peeler, remove half of peel from orange and lemon (colored part only).
- Thinly slice peel.
- Remove remaining peel and all white pith from orange and lemon.
- Chop pulp finely, discarding seeds and tough membrane.
- Stir sliced peel and chopped pulp into pears.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Reduce heat to low, add sugar and bay leaves to pears and cook till sugar dissolves, swirling pan occasionally.
- Increase heat and bring to rolling but not foaming boil.
- Cook about 40 minutes, stirring frequently toward end of cooking time.
- NOTE: To test for doneness, remove pan from heat.
- Fill chilled spoon with jam, then slowly pour jam back into pan; last 2 drops should merge and sheet off spoon.
- One tbs jam ladled onto chilled plate and frozen 2 minutes should wrinkle when pushed with finger.
- Stir in lemon juice; discard bay leaves.
- Spoon jam into hot jars to 1/4" from top.
- Immediately wipe rim using towel dipped in hot water.
- Place lid on jar; seal tightly.
- Arrange jars in large pot, filled with water.
- Process 15 minutes in boiling water.
- Remove jars from water bath.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Store in cool dry place, for up to 1 year.
- Refrigerate after opening.