( or your favorite tube pasta)
yellow onion, finely chopped
mild Italian pork sausage, crumbled
1 1/2 cups
whole canned tomatoes, with their juice,coarsely chopped
salt & freshly ground black pepper
whole-milk ricotta cheese
freshly torn basil leaves
fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over a medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until it softens and turns a rich golden color Add the sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- cook until the sausage has browned lightly Stir in the tomatoes, season lightly with salt and black pepper (bearing in mind that there will be salt and pepper in the sausage) and continue cooking until the tomatoes have reduced and separated from the butter and sausage fat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta.
- When the pasta is almost done, return the skillet with the sauce to a medium heat and add the ricotta and basil, mixing them in evenly.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente, drain it and toss it with the sauce, adding the grated cheese.
- Serve at once.