( see recipe for Vegetable Stock #54127)
2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons
1 1/2 cups
thinly sliced mushroom
- In a saucepan, combine the barley and 3 cups of vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
- Cover and cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the remaining vegetable stock and simmer 30 minutes, covered.
- Add the barley and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Add salt to taste and ladle into bowls.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.