( not rapid yeast)
Chinese sausage, diced
garlic, finely minced
carrot, coarsely shredded
green onion, chopped
shiitake mushroom, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons
- Dough: Mix dry ingredients together (including yeast).
- Add oil and water and mix well.
- Knead dough until smooth (about 10 minutes).
- Place in a large bowl; cover with a clean damp cloth and leave in a warm place to rise for about 2 hours.
- Filling: Mix together sherry, oyster sauce, soy sauce, water, sugar and cornstarch until free of lumps.
- Heat 1 T oil in a wok or pan over medium heat, add sausage and saute for 1 minute.
- Add vegetables and cook until crisp tender.
- Add liquid mixture and cook until thickened slightly.
- Cool before using.
- Divide manapua dough into 24 balls.
- Slightly flatten each ball, then roll out to 4-inch disks, leaving the center of the circle twice as thick as the sides.
- Place 1 T of filling in the center of the dough.
- Gather up the sides around the filling and twist dough to seal.
- Place with twisted side down on a 2-inch square piece of wax paper.
- Put buns 2 inches apart in a steamer and allow to rise for another hour.
- Steam for 15 minutes.
- If you prefer to bake the manapua, preheat oven to 350°.
- Set the buns 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Brush with a mixture of 1 beaten egg, water and 1/4 tsp sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.