( hot or sweet)
garlic clove, minced
red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
celery, coarsely chopped
1 (700 ml) jars
dry red wine
of pasta cooking water
mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
grated parmesan cheese
- Prick sausages in several places.
- Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan set over medium high heat.
- Add sausages& cook until evenly browned- about 8 minutes.
- Remove from pan& cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add onions to fat remaining in pan& saute for about 5 minutes.
- Return sausages to pan.
- Add fennel, garlic, cumin, peppers& celery; cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain excess fat from pan.
- Stir tomato sauce, basil& wine into sausage mixture.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat& simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook penne, according to package directions until el dente (about 10 minutes).
- Drain- reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Combine sausage mixture, pasta & reserved cooking liquid in a 5 litre casserole dish.
- Mix well.
- Combine Mozarella& Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Stir into the pasta mixture.
- Bake in preheated 375F oven for 30 minutes.