1 (1/4 ounce) package
active dry yeast
( 110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 cups
toasted wheat germ
whole wheat flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water.
- Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Combine buttermilk, butter or margarine, honey and the yeast mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the salt, all of the seeds and the whole wheat flour and wheat germ.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the bread flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well with a wooden spoon after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with the oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves.
- Place the loaves into the prepared pans.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until the tops are brown and the bottom of a loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Makes 2 loaves.