6 oktoberfest pork sausage or 6
your favourite pork sausage
hot red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
zucchini, unpeeled and cubed
sweet red pepper, seeded and cubed
jalapeno pepper, seeded and cubed
ear sweet corn, fresh or frozen, cut in 2 inch lengths
1 peeled sweet potatoes or 1
1 (385 ml) cans
2% evaporated milk, add fresh
2% low-fat milk, to make 3 cups
low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
light cream cheese, cubed
dry thyme leaves, crushed
cooked penne pasta
( we like whole wheat penne)
parmesan cheese, grated
- Place pork sausage in a large Dutch oven, brown on all sides, drain fat and poke each sausage several times with a sharp knife.
- Return to Dutch oven, cover with water, add hot red pepper flakes, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, simmer for 1 hour, remove to drain on paper towel.
- Discard water and bay leaves.
- Slice sausage into bite size pieces, set aside.
- Place veggies in a large bowl, drizzle veggie oil over all, toss until all veggies are well coated.
- Spread coated veggies, in one layer, on lightly greased baking sheet; roast for 25 minutes at 450f degrees, turning once.
- Whisk 1/4 cup of the milk with flour.
- In a saucepan, heat remaining milk over medium heat until bubbles appear around edge; whisk in flour mixture and bring to boil, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium low; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cheddar and cream cheese, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water; cook pasta until barely tender.
- Drain well and return to pot; stir in sauce.
- Add bite size pieces pork sausage.
- Remove corn kernels from husks, discard husks, add all roasted veggies to pasta/sausage/sauce mixture, stir gently to coat.
- Spoon mixture into greased 10 cup casserole.
- Topping: Mix bread crumbs with melted butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over top of casserole.
- Bake at 450f degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, until bubbly and golden.