1 (14 ounce) boxes frozen butternut squash, defrosted or 1 1/4 cups
cooked and pureed squash
zucchini, cooked and coarsely pureed
( 6-7oz, about 1/2 cup)
bulk breakfast sausage
( I use Jimmy Dean)
unbaked pie shell, rolled out to fit a 9 inch deep dish pie pan
( 4 cup volume)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (400° is using a glass dish).
- Cook sausage over medium high, breaking up the sausage with the edge of a spoon, until no longer pink, cool to room temp.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, salt, sugar and spices.
- Mix in squashes and sausage, add milk and stir to combine.
- Pour into pie shell and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 350°F (325° for glass) and bake 40-50 minutes or until a knife blade inserted comes out clean.
- Chill before serving.