1 1/2 lbs
( or you can use 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. ground turkey for less fat)
1/2 lb ground ham or 1/2 lb
bulk pork sausage
raw white rice
1 -2 tablespoon
dried onion flakes
dried parsley flakes
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans
condensed tomato soup
( or 2 small heads)
- Core cabbage and place stem side up in a bowl.
- Place in microwave and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- While cabbage is cooking, combine ground meats, rice, eggs, onion, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- When cabbage is done, stick a fork in the stem end and peel off individual cabbage leaves.
- Starting at stem end of leaf, place enough meat to fill lower leaf with space left on both sides.
- Fold bottom of leaf up over meat mixture, then fold over left and right sides; roll the rest.
- Place rolls in a single layer in a large oven-proof casserole dish.
- Cut remaining cabbage into wedges and lay on top of rolls.
- If you don't have ground ham or pork sausage, you can place a ham bone in the center of casserole.
- It will flavor the whole pot.
- Combine tomato soup, water, and bay leaf; pour over cabbage rolls.
- The rolls should be immersed.
- You can add more water if necessary.
- The rice will soak up the moisture.
- Place casserole dish on stove and bring to a simmer.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 1 1/2-2 hrs.
- Check level of sauce.
- Add water if necessary.
- Baste sauce over cabbage wedges occasionally.
- You can also cook these on the stove top.
- My mom always did, but I find it easier to control the simmer in the oven.
- DON'T let the cabbage rolls dry out!
- Serve with mashed potatoes or cooked noodles.
- NOTE: If making this in the crockpot, I would suggest using Minute Rice.