tomatillos, husked and rinsed
( 5 to 6 medium)
hot green pepper
( roughly 2 serranos or 1 jalapeno, stemmed and roughly chopped)
5 -6 sprigs
fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
( long bottom stems removed)
finely chopped white onion
- Roast the tomatillos and chile (s) on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler, until darkly roasted, evenly blackened in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Flip them over and roast the other side; 4 or 5 minutes more will give you splotchy-black and blistered tomatillos and chiles that are soft and cooked through.
- Cool and transfer everything to a blender, including all of the delicious juice that has run out into the baking sheet.
- Add the cilantro and the 1/4 cup water and blend to a coarse puree.
- Rinse the onion under cold water, then shake to remove excess moisture.
- Stir into the salsa and season with salt, usually a generous 1/4 teaspoon of salt.