red bell pepper, diced
canned pumpkin puree
( other short or medium grain will work)
pine nuts, toasted
- Melt butter in large sauce pot.
- Add shallots and red pepper.
- Saute until red pepper begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine pumpkin and broth in another saucepan, mixing well over medium-low heat.
- Keep warm.
- Add rice to red pepper mixture, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add wine, stirring until liquid is almost gone.
- Add cumin and curry powder, stirring through until well blended.
- Over medium heat, begin adding pumpkin/broth liquid, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Stir until liquid is almost gone, then add the next 1/2 cup.
- Continue until the pumpkin broth is gone and rice is tender, or even slightly al dente if you like.
- This can take about 20 to 30 minutes.
- When just a small bit of the last addition of broth is left, add evaporated milk, stirring to blend, and continue to cook for about 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add toasted pine nuts.
- Mix through and serve.