1 lb dried navy beans or 1 lb great northern beans or 1 lb
smoked ham hock
potatoes, cooked and mashed
onions, chopped well
salt and pepper
- Wash and sort beans.
- Place in a large pot with a lid and add 5 quarts of water.
- Bring to a boil and boil hard for 2 minutes.
- Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- Bring to a hard boil again, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, or until the beans begin to mush.
- Add all the ingredients except salt and pepper and simmer for 1 hour longer.
- Remove hock, cut up meat and return to the pot.
- Discard bone.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, Serve.