1 1/2 lbs
boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
flour, as needed for dusting chicken
2 -3 teaspoons
canola oil, as needed
onion, finely chopped
1 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained or 6 -8 ounces
fresh mushrooms, sliced, stemmed, and peeled
1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans
condensed tomato soup
( reduced fat is OK)
0.5 (10 7/8 ounce) cans
( use soup can)
( light or regular but NOT fat free)
sweet Hungarian paprika, to taste
( or spicy)
freshly cooked egg noodles or
steamed bread dumplings
- Lightly dust chicken chunks with some flour- just enough to coat.
- Set a large nonstick stock pot on medium-high heat and add a tsp or two of oil (a little more if your pan is not nonstick)- just enough to prevent sticking.
- Sauté chicken in the pan just to brown lightly on all sides- not to cook all the way through yet.
- Remove from pan using a slotted spoon and set in a covered dish to keep warm.
- Add onions and mushrooms to the pan and sauté until lightly browned, adding another tsp of oil only if needed.
- Add tomato soup (undiluted), then fill the soup can halfway with water and add that water to the pan.
- Stir in sour cream, the bay leaf, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste), and 2 tsp of paprika, either sweet or spicy (in this I prefer the sweet)- your choice.
- Add chicken chunks back to the pan, stir, cover pan, and lower heat and let simmer approximately 30-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through and is tender (meanwhile, start cooking your dumplings/noodles).
- Check the seasonings, adding a bit more salt, pepper, and/or paprika only if needed.
- Remove bay leaf and serve ladled over freshly cooked dumplings or hot buttered egg noodles in bowls.