lean stewing beef
( cubed round or your preferred cut)
( or 3 cups beef broth plus 1/2 cup dry red wine)
garlic cloves, minced
dried basil, crushed
dried thyme, crushed
peeled cubed potatoes
carrots, sliced thickly
sliced green beans
( OR 1 1/2 cups peas)
salt and pepper
- Place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of beef at a time shaking well to coat.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan.
- Add meat and onions, brown meat well.
- Add beef broth (and wine if using), garlic, basil and thyme.
- Bring all to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours (or until meat is tender).
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery, cover pot, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes (or until potatoes are almost done).
- Add green beans (or peas) and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.