maraschino cherries, drained
8 ounces cream cheese or 8 ounces
light cream cheese, at room temperature
Cool Whip, thawed
( regular or light)
2 -4 drops
red food coloring
( or equal amount of sugar substitute)
1 (6 ounce)
chocolate cookie pie crust
( such as Keebler)
1 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes
instant chocolate pudding mix
( can be sugar free if desired)
instant nonfat dry milk powder
1 1/4 cups
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before you begin.
- Set aside 4 of the cherries and chop the remainder.
- In a bowl,with a wooden spoon, stir the softened cream cheese until smooth- do NOT use an electric mixer for this.
- Blend in sugar and chopped cherries by hand util blended.
- Add food coloring and stir gently so as not to splatter dye everywhere.
- Stir in just 1/4 cup of the Cool Whip gently- you don't want to crush out all of the air.
- Spread evenly on bottom of chocolate cookie pie crust shell.
- Get out a whisk and combine the dry pudding mix with the nonfat dry milk powder.
- While whisking vigorously, pour the water into the pudding mixture and whisk until well combined- the dry milk powder will make it start to set up and thicken almost instantly so work quickly or you will end up with pasty gobs& lumps.
- Stir in brandy extract (yes- you can sub real brandy or sherry, if desired).
- Pour this mixture evenly over the cream cheese layer and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Cover pie and chill in fridge 10 minutes.
- Using remaining 1/2 cup Cool Whip, use a spoon and drop 8 dollops of Cool Whip on top of the pie all around the outer rim decoratively (or you can just spread it all on top if desired).
- Cut the 4 reserved whole cherries into halves and garnish each dollop.
- Recover and let chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- Note: If you don't have nonfat dry milk powder, substitute 1 1/4 cups cold milk and omit milk powder& water.
- If using the cold milk, the second layer will need to chill much longer than 10 minutes- chill until firm, then garnish with the Cool Whip dollops& cherry halves just before serving.