olive oil, extra virgin
turkey sausage, sweet Italian
2 (8 ounce) packages
cream cheese, room temperature
parmesan cheese, grated
6 -8 slices
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Brown the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon--about 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Wash peppers. Cut a slit lengthwise on one side of each pepper, and then carve about a quarter inch of pepper out alongside this slit so your fingers can barely fit inches It's a bit tricky, but gently using the flexibility of the pepper and the narrow opening, I was able to wash out the seeds and membranes without breaking the pepper, while also providing enough room for the filling.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, Parmesan, and sour cream until well combined. Stir in the cooled sausage.
- Using a small spoon, stuff the peppers with the cream cheese mixture. Wrap each pepper with bacon and secure with toothpick by inserting pick into both pepper and bacon to hold. If it doesn't come close to wrapping around, just drape it over the top (where filling is), and secure.
- Preheat grill to medium. Brush grates with vegetable oil. Set peppers on grill. Cover and cook until peppers are tender and bacon is crisp--about 30 minutes.