boneless skinless chicken breast halves
( pounded to a 1/4-inch thickness with a mallet)
( Golden Delicious or Granny Smith recommended)
sharp cheddar cheese
fine dry breadcrumb
1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup
water, as needed
1 1/2 teaspoons
fresh parsley, chopped, garnish
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
- If you haven't already pounded your chicken breast halves, do so now- they should be 1/4" thin; season with salt and pepper to taste on both sides. Peel your apples unless you prefer them to have the skin on.
- Combine apple chunks,cheese, and bread crumbs in a small bowl.
- Divide the apple mixture into two portions and place one portion on top of each piece of chicken.
- Roll up chicken into a bundle, using toothpicks to secure if needed.
- Melt butter in a skillet, then brown the chicken briefly on both sides in the butter- just a few minutes each side to brown but not cook all the way through yet.
- Once browned, add wine and 1/4 cup of water.
- Cover pan and let simmer 15-20 minutes on medium-low heat- until chicken is no longer pink and completely cooked through.
- Remove cooked chicken from the pan using a slotted spoon and set on two plates.
- Remove toothpicks.
- Whisk together 1 Tbsp of water and the cornstarch well and add to the pan juices.
- Whisk until blended and cook and stir until thickened slightly (you may need to raise the heat a bit); test for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle over chicken and sprinkle parsley over tops as a garnish.